Hey all, first post of 2016! I had hoped to get this up on the blog by the end of last year, but as you know, life tends to get in the way of well laid plans. I did want to share with you the last outfit I made in 2015. With how busy last fall had been I was only able to complete one outfit, but at least I achieved my goal to make something that I could wear right away, instead of waiting too long and finishing a summer dress in winter.
I decided to use one of the fabrics I picked up in LA last year at Michael Levine’s. You can read more about that trip here. Along with their regular store, across the street, they have a by-the-pound store, so you can find some really nice pieces for very cheap.
Since Tucson takes awhile to cool off, I thought the it would be nice to have a dress that has fall colors but is nice and light.
I picked this pattern because I loved the style and thought it was a good fit for the type of fabric that I was using. I chose view B, the length was for a dress. I made a couple changes to the pattern, since I am typically a size bigger on the bottom, than on the top.
In these pictures I am adjusting the pattern so the size for the top of the dress, matches the size of the skirt of the dress.
Construction in progress!
Elastic was used to create the cute sleeve detail.
My mom shared with me this great product that helps with creating a clean hem with fabrics that are slippery and hard to keep folded. The tape made it easy to create an even hem.
Final product! Had my lovely friend Jen snap a pic of me wearing the dress on 4th Ave.